Friday, December 22, 2006

100 Good Wishes


To welcome and celebrate a new life, there is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt (an example by a woman in PA is at the left). It is a custom to invite 100 people to contribute a single square patch of cloth. The 100 patches are sewn together into a quilt that contains the luck, energy, and good wishes from all the families and friends who contributed. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation. Soooooo - I am inviting all of you to contribute to our little Nina's quilt by sending a piece of cloth and a wish for Nina written on a slip of paper. The cloth can be as big as you want, but at least 4 inches square. Your wish and any extra cloth will be put into a scrapbook for her. This is very exciting to me to think that I can have such a special project while we wait for our daughter and such a wonderful gift with which to welcome her. Send any piece of cloth that speaks to you and I'll let the creativity flow to put all your unique wishes together into one quilt. If you do not have our address please email me or leave a comment and I will send it to you. Thank you. Hannah

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Wonderful tradition. I can't wait to dig through my stash for something perfect for Nina.

Sarah Ann Smith said...

What a w*onderful idea.....shall I mail it or let you pick from my stash on the 22nd?

Hugs, Sarah

Françoise said...

I would love to send you a piece of fabric and a wish for your little girl.
(I found you on Deborah's blog.)

dee said...

I would love to send you some fabric-this is a wonderful idea. I e-mailed Deborah-the fabric is(almost) in the mail....